A Great Start . . .
We had a great turn out last night in spite of the rain--so thanks for coming.
My prayer is that this series will do several things. First, I pray it will help each of us to see why God created us and how He wants to use every one of us to serve Him. Second, I hope it brings us closer together (husbands to wives, parents to children, friend to friend). Third, I am praying it will begin a new adventure at NORBC. Great books will change your life and I would like to introduce you to as many as I can.
If This Is Going to Work . . .
Computers are a great way to communicate but you have to be willing to do it. Since this is a first at NORBC people need to get involved in interacting with others. In order to leave a comment, you will have to fill out a name and an email address. It only takes a minute to complete and then you are ready to go.
The purpose for the blog is to share your thoughts with others. This will make our group study on Wednesday evenings come to life. Some of the thought discussions will come from your responses on the blog.
One more suggestion . . .
Some of you know much more about blogging than me. This is my second post. If you can help “spiffy” our sight up or would like to help on the technical end, PLEASE let me know.
Let’s get started . . .
What is the significance of the first sentence in the book: “It’s not about you?”
How does God’s Word differ from the self help books that are so popular in society today?
Isn’t finding fulfillment in life (meaning pleasing myself) what it’s all about?
How does a proper perspective on life help me become a better wife or husband; mom or dad; employee or employer?
Give your response and make sure you interact with others. Check back several times throughout the day and evening. We will post another series of questions later.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Let me take a stab at the first one: "What is the significance of the first sentence in the book: “It’s not about you?”
ReplyDeleteThe significance is that my life is really not about me--it's about God. This is humbling because it puts me in my place. I was born by God's purpose and for His purpose--not my own.
This causes me to examine my motives and even the way I treat others in life. As the famous saying goes, "Your life is the only Bible some people will read."
It is all about God. The creator of the heavens and the earth. He created us to do God's work. So let's get started. Let's tell everyone about God and Jesus Christ.
ReplyDelete"Self help books" promote "all about me" thinking. They are usually written from a self-centered or self-focused viewpoint. As we find in the first chapter of "The Purpose Driven Life", "It is not about you." We need to turn to God's Word to find what purpose God created us for.
ReplyDeleteIn Chapter 2 at the bottom of page 24, I found one profound statement that I read over and over again. "God made you so he could love you." That is a truth that I have not pondered on before. "God made ME so that He could love ME." We serve a GREAT God!
I am looking forward to our comments and discussions on this blog. It will be a challenge for me to limit myself to reading one chapter per day...but I will read each chapter through at least two times, if not more. This is a great book!
Isn't it a good feeling to know that God has our lives planned for us! If you really think about it, you can come to peace with all things. We worry about things that are completely out of our control, when we should be putting everything in the hands of God-because if we don't, we are denying his plan.
ReplyDeleteChapter 2 opened my mind to His creation as a whole. As Christians, we have Gods word to open our hearts and minds to all of His wonders!
The world and my place in it make more sense as I read. Thanks be to God!
This book is a lesson in humility. Matt talked about how we worry over things we have no control over, and that is me in a nutshell. The lesson for me is that if I'm worrying, I'm shrinking God!!! He's big enough to have everything under control!
ReplyDeleteHi, my first blog interaction! The first sentence is like a slap on the hand. God Created us for Him and we have the nerve to think we are all that matter sometimes. This is humbling and I can't begin to figure His great purposes, it's hard to swallow sometimes too, but His will is where I want to be!
ReplyDeleteHi, The 1st question made me stop and realize something that I already knew but often loose tuuch with in my everyday stresses and worries. It made stop and think, It's not about me, it's about serving God, and all of my trials are for a purpose, a devine reason that God has placed in my path to mold me and use me for his glory.
ReplyDeleteHey everyone! I just wanted to say that this book has really been an eye opener for me! I mean i never thought God wanted to create us just so He could love us and knowing that He created me for a purpose is a real relief. Theres soo many times i worry about my future and what i am going to come to. Reading this book has really helped with that! It has made me look at God in a different way. I never thought God would wanna be apart of everything in our life! I just think its soo amazing that God loves us so much and wants us to get to know him and that he gets just as excited over us talking to him as we get over talking to our best friend! This book has made me see God for more of who He is!
ReplyDelete