
This week’s Purpose has focused on “discipleship” (lessons 22-28). Discipleship is becoming more like Jesus (see Jn 8:31). God’s purpose for your life is to shape your character and make you like Jesus Christ. Don’t fight this process because this is what the Lord will ultimately do with you (take the time and look up Rom 8:29 and 1 Jn 3:1-3).
Notice how God makes us like Christ: He uses His Word, His Spirit, and circumstances in our lives to allow us to grow more like Christ. Notice how many times the word “temptation” is used. Also notice how God uses our success to overcome temptation as an opportunity for you to grow. God does not tempt you to sin (James 1:13), but He does use your reaction to strengthen your character.
Note the following points:
• You were created to become like Christ.
• It is never too late to begin growing.
• God’s truth and life’s troubles (i.e. temptation) grows us.
• Temptation is just as much an opportunity to do the right thing as it is the wrong thing.
• Temptation can be won!
• There are no shortcuts to maturity.
Answer the following questions:
• How is becoming like Jesus different from the way most people understand “discipleship?”
• What are some of the changes you have seen in your life since you became a believer? What have others noticed?
• A year from now, how would you like to be more Christlike? What can you do today to move toward that goal?
• Where in your spiritual growth are you having to be patient because there seems to be little progress?
• How has God used pain and trouble to help you grow?
• When are you most vulnerable to temptation? Which of the steps to defeating temptation could help you most?
See you Wednesday evening.
PS--Hover your mouse over the scripture references (isn't this cool!)


Love the scripture reference pop ups - the Bible Logos software is sweet!
ReplyDeleteI think the greatest changes in my life have come since being married and having children of my own - living a pretty sheltered life during high school and marrying young kept me from a lot of lifes temptations. I thank the Lord for a strict Mother, close family relations growing up, and N Oak Ridge and the saints there that gave me a rich and true heritage. I really didn't learn the fear of the Lord until I was much older.
I had a religion for a lot of years but not a close "relation" with my Lord and Savior. I have a very strong personality and being the oldest in the family I was used to doing things my way and having a lot of responsibility.
It wasn't until those things that had always sheltered me, church, family, friends, etc started crumbling around me that I had to start leaning on Someone who was MUCH stronger than me and truly start learning what He had in store for me and where I needed to grow. I can remember praying piously - Search me oh God and know me - try me and see if there be any wicked way in me.....WOW - when the HOly Spirit starts sweeping around HEART issues - WATCH OUT - it's a frighteningly WONDERFUL experience - Hallelujah for His unconditional LOVE to us as His Children and His determination to not leave us alone - but MOLD and MAKE us into His image - I'm reminded of the song - He's still working on me....to make me what I ought to be -and how very HUMBLING that He takes the time and never gives up on us no matter how many times we fail Him!
We are blessed!
Reading this book and participating in our small group discussions has been such a blessing! I have enjoyed comments left by others on our blog, as well as our discussions on Wednesday evenings. It has confirmed many things in my life, and it has helped me to know that others have gone through similiar situations.
ReplyDeleteGod has used "pain and trouble" in my life to cause me to depend on Him. As we discussed last night, if everything in our life is going well, then we have no real need to depend upon God. It is when I am most afraid, lonely, and unsure that I cry out to God, and He makes Himself known to me.
Another one of our questions/discussions from last night concerned patience with spiritual growth. We discussed "answered prayer", and how sometimes the answer is "no", or "not right now". It reminded me that I have to acknowledge that God IS in control, He knows EVERYTHING, and HIS timing is perfect. I tend to want God to work immediately and answer my prayers right now! I must remember that God has a purpose for everything, and that there may be times where I must wait for His answer. It is in these times of waiting that I must draw close to God.